Summer 2019 Organization Hosting Applications are now open!
Interested in hosting Humans in Harmony interns at your organization next summer? Apply by Monday, November 26, 2018.
Humans in Harmony partners with organizations to facilitate collaborative songwriting projects.
We pair a group of songwriters from one organization with a group of storytellers from another to participate in a series of workshops to facilitate the sharing and songwriting process. Our methods are informed by research that reveals the power of music as a route to interpersonal connection and empathy.
Past partnerships have included:
– Students in juvenile detention (songwriters) and children with cancer (storytellers)
– Health care professional students (songwriters) and children in foster care (storytellers)
– Public high school students (songwriters) and elderly veterans (storytellers)
We welcome inquiries from organizations that have a population that would like to participate as songwriters, storytellers, or both. Experience in writing songs is not required. Our Humans in Harmony staff will guide participating organizations through the storytelling and songwriting process.
Highlights from a workshop which connected health professional students at Columbia University with children in foster care at the Children’s Family and Aid Services of NJ:
Is a Humans in Harmony workshop right for my organization?
We partner with a wide range of organizations to facilitate the storytelling and songwriting process, and we work with each organization to structure workshops that best meet its goals and needs. Based on our research and experience, we would particularly recommend Humans in Harmony workshops for:
– Public schools looking for a low-cost, high-impact introduction to music
– Health professional schools hoping to create opportunities for students to connect with patients and reflect on the meaning of their work
– Organizations that serve at-risk youth seeking to encourage prosocial behavior through a service-oriented creative project
– Organizations hoping to facilitate dialogue and connection across cultural, religious, political, or other ideological divides
– Care facilities and community support groups seeking to enhance social connection and emotional well-being
If you are interested in partnering with us or learning more, contact us.