Do you want to put your passion for music into improving the lives of others?
This summer in NYC, intern at a service organization and join the Summer 2019 Music Corps. To become a corpsmember,
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Priority deadline: Monday, March 4, 2019
The dates for the volunteer or internship opportunity will be in June-August, 2019. We place corpsmembers with social service organizations in NYC who are looking for interns or volunteers, and who have a population who would benefit from arts and social service activities. In the past, our participants have worked with organizations such as hospitals, community living centers, and youth centers.
During this time, you develop skills working with community organizations and connect with community members from diverse backgrounds. While assisting with roles defined by the service organization, we train you and your corpsmembers to organize collaborative songwriting activities where you write original, personal songs with the community members you serve. The goal of these workshops are to foster mutual connection and understanding through stories and song, and the songs celebrate the stories of the community.
- Hands-on experience with community organizations and members with unique needs (e.g., patients, at-risk youth, the elderly).
- Access to expert musicians and resources for song production, recording, and platform to share songs.
- Weekly training and workshops to hone your music, song production, and writing skills with other corpsmembers and community members.
- Build a community of those passionate about music and service, with continued access to support and resources as you build your career in public service or arts.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a undergraduate or graduate degree program, a recent graduate, a member of our partner youth organizations, or a student in the NYC school system.
- Successful candidates will have interests in arts/music and public service and relevant background and experience.
- Program term is 8 weeks, from June 10 to August 2, 2019
- Application period opens from Feb 4 – April 1, 2019 on a rolling basis. Priority deadline: March 4, 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are internships paid or unpaid?
Most of our internships are unpaid, but we have paid opportunities and stipends on a case-by-case basis.
Are internships full-time or part-time?
Either. You will be able to select your preference for a full-time or part-time opportunity in your application.
Do I need to have previous musical experience?
No, we believe that music is accessible to all and for all! It is helpful to have previous musical experience but not necessary, as corpsmembers are grouped so that their skills are varied and you will have weekly training sessions and resources at your hand.
Who are the corpsmembers?
Our corpsmembers come from a diversity of experiences of backgrounds, are passionate about improving the lives of others, and have strong interests in the arts and music.